God's love!

Zephaniah 3:17

The Lord your God is with you,
He is a mighty warrior, strong, there to save you.
He takes great delight in you,
He will quiet you, calm you, with His love,
He rejoices over you with singing.

The Lord your God is totally & completely in love with you

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Y'all 'gone see me ROCKING!

Today in church I was listening as the choir sang and was watching their expressions and body movements.  I found myself wanting to ask some of them, "are you singing because your in the choir or are you singing to Jesus?"  Are you celebrating what he's done for you? Are you excited about where you're going?  Are you worshiping with your whole heart? Are you giving Jesus all that you have?  I could ask myself the same questions.

I see TWO singers! TWO women, one on the end of my front right corner and the other on the end of my back left corner, who really appear to want to walk on the golden streets of Jerusalem that they were singing about! To walk where angels have trod!  I can see the excitement and anticipation on their faces!  In the raising of their hands, and the sway and bounce of their bodies!  Oh Jesus, how they love you! How they want to be there with you!  I'm sure there are others who want that too, but on some of their faces I see sorrow, bitterness perhaps, numbness maybe, just tired, or maybe even some who want to be there but just have lost their zeal!  Still there are others who are just dying to let it all hang out!  Their hearts are near bursting to let their joy shine forth!  I'll admit sometimes those are descriptions of me!  Do you know what we need? Some good ole fashioned "old time religion"! A revival!  Praise Jesus! You know what else? We need some ethnic mix within our services! Yes. We. Do! We are all serving the same Jesus!  Now please don't take offense here but we need what some call "black folk praise & worship!"  Amen! Oh what we stand to gain to learn from our brothers and sisters of different ethnicities!  To be free to let our joy and spirit loose! We as "white folk" are lacking here!  What would people think if some of our "white" folk churches just got up and turned loose? Dancing and praising with the lifting and clapping of hands! Foot stomping!  Holy moly, all kinds of names and labels might get thrown around.  I personally was raised worshiping in both black & white churches as well as mixed.  I've seen the differences and to be honest (now I'm gonna share some secrets here), I've always admired and wished for the faith & freedom to express my joy that the black race has.  I'm sure there are great things we could stand to learn from other ethnic groups that I just haven't experienced yet.  Now some believe that they are somehow owed because of what their ancestors went through and some don't.  Let me encourage you to see this in a different way.  I want to share with you what has always stood out to me! Even though they, ours and our brothers and sisters ancestors, some white but mostly black, were enslaved and tortured by men, mostly white men, their faith in Jesus was never enslaved!  All they had was Jesus and each other! Though they suffered much at the hands of cruel men, God, I believe, blessed them with a strength and faith and authenticity so many people lack today.  At least that's the way I see it!  Oh what I would give to be so free in my spirit!  The lack of freedom physically was replaced with a freedom spiritually!  For what man intended as evil whether from ignorance or meanness, God has used and blessed for good!  It is your reward even today!

I have always said that when I'm older (well at my age, now is older) I want to be like an older black woman!  Why? Because she is so free!  I want the faithfulness that I see, the quite, gentle spirit that I've witnessed.  The sweet smile and kind eyes that say "I love you, there is no judgement here! Come and sit with me!"  Holiness!  Strength!  Humility!  Do I have to be of another race to posses that? NO!  There are women of all races who have these beautiful qualities.  This is just what I've seen and what I've admired!  I want to say thank you for the example I've seen in many of you! Old, young, black, white or brown! These fine qualities have been passed down from generation to generation! Be thankful for what your ancestors have gone through no matter your race, because, it was their suffering and their faithfulness that has brought many blessings upon yours and my life!  We need to let loose and cut up for Jesus!

This morning while the choir was still singing that same song about Jerusalem, I began to watch those around me & I saw one woman to my right in the balcony stand in celebration and anticipation of Jerusalem and then another to my left.  So, I then began watching to see how many more would follow that brave ladies lead and stand.  There were others, but not as many as I thought would stand. Sometimes we stand alone but most of the time if we just take that stand others will follow.  Some will stand in unison with you while others will stand just because they are following your lead.  Good, I say! No matter the reason they stood, what matters is that they did!  We encourage one another when we stand.  And when we stand, praise will follow!  No matter your race, STAND! TOGETHER! Be courageous!  Be that lil ole black lady sitting in her rocker on the front porch welcoming all who enter in!  It's not about WHERE you're supposed to be-you will get there, but instead, WHO you're supposed to be!  In a rocker, on a bus, in an office, in a foreign country, be who God has called you to be!

I know this is a blog post full of different thoughts, but take from it what applies to you and leave the rest! This is just how my church service went for me.
For me, I don't want to be great, don't need to be famous or rich, I just want to "ROCK" for Jesus! (pun intended)

Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider how we may SPUR one another on TOWARD love and good deeds.  Let us not give up meeting TOGETHER as some are in the habit of doing, but let us ENCOURAGE one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching.


On the porch,
Stephanie Goode

1 comment:

  1. You are truly a perfect example of a pure heart! I absolutely loved this, and I love you! Keep it up!

    Your favorite sister-in-law,
    Shelly <3

    ReplyDelete