God's love!

Zephaniah 3:17

The Lord your God is with you,
He is a mighty warrior, strong, there to save you.
He takes great delight in you,
He will quiet you, calm you, with His love,
He rejoices over you with singing.

The Lord your God is totally & completely in love with you

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Is it ok?

Ok, something I've been pondering on for a few days...movies!  I love them! Most of us do, but are they ok for Christians?  Here's why I ask: movies contain a lot of things that the Bible speaks against and yet we fill our minds and hearts with them.
Here's a few things to consider:

Murder-Exodus 20:13, Matthew 15:19
Sex- Premarital, outside of marriage, all kinds of sex and sexuality, seduction-Ephesians 5:3, 1 Thessalonians 4:3, 1 Corinthians 5:9-12
Language-Cursing, foul, degrading, crude, God's name in vain or irreverence-Exodus 20:7, Leviticus 9:12, Colossians 3:8
Revenge, hatred-1John 3:9, Leviticus 19:18, 1John 2:9, Proverbs 10:12
Drunkenness-Ephesians 5:18, Proverbs 23:21
Disrespect towards each other, towards elders and parents, dishonor-Exodus 20:12, 1Peter 2:17, Romans 12:9-10, Ephesians 6:2
Lying, deceit, slander, gossip-Exodus 20: 16, Leviticus 19:11 & 16,Psalm 34:13, Titus 3:2, Proverbs 16:28, Galatians 6:7
Stealing and cheating-Exodus 20:15,Matthew 19:18
Adultery, fornication, infidelity, swapping partners, lust-Exodus 20:14, Matthew 5:28, Proverbs 6:25, Colossians 3:5, 1 Thessalonians 4:5, 1 John 2:15-17,Hebrews 13:4, Proverbs 6:32-35
Divorce & remarriage-Malachi 2:13-17, Matthew 19:3-9, 1 Corinthians 7:10, 27, 1 Corinthians 7:39, Luke 16:18
Worshipping other gods, including satan, cults, witchcraft, idols(even money)-Exodus 20:3-4, 1 Corinthians 8:4-6, 2 Timothy 3:1-7, 1 Timothy 6:3-5
Homosexuality-1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Romans 1:25-27, Genesis 19, Leviticus 18:22 & 20:13, 1 Timothy 1:9-11, Genesis 2:18-25, 19:1-29, Psalm 81:12, 1 Thessalonians 4:3-7
Jealousy, covetousness-Exodus 20:17, 1 Corinthians 13:4, Galatians 5:19-20, Proverbs 27:4, 1 Samuel 18:8-11, Genesis 4-Jealousy caused murder, Deuteronomy 4:24, 1 Corinthians 3:3

Galatians 5:19-21, Romans Chapter 1 & 13-

This sounds an awful lot like the Ten Commandments right, Exodus 20?!  Well we aren't acting in these ways! Aren't we? Are we being stumbling blocks and false leaders? I say yes, guilty! I can say personally that watching some of these things have affected my life and my thinking.  It certainly gave me unrealistic expectations in my marriage.  Has it become the ruler to measure our lives by? It has become that way rather than the Bible being our measuring stick.  Now I'm not saying there aren't some good qualities in movies as well.
Sure, I've seen for instance:

Kindness-Galatians 5:22-26
Love-Romans 13:9- the whole Bible!
Forgiveness
Mercy
Grace
Hospitality
Giving
Worshipping God
Serving others
Laughter
Happiness
Truth
Respect and honor

I kind of feel it not necessary to list all the scripture for this list because these are the one's we know.  We prefer to focus on these.  Its the list above that we choose to ignore! I hope you will not just read over this, but as a true follower of God and truth seek out each verse and allow God to lead you through his infallible word. You decide with God in fervent prayer what is true about what we allow into our lives and I will do the same.  These kind of changes once we've become accustomed and conditioned to them are not easy to change.  It takes a great love for The Lord and His commands and obedience!

Now here's my question about the second list...In Christian or Bible based movies, there are still actors and actresses who are married to other people and yet in the movies because they play a specific role they are kissing another person.  Or even wholesome movies that speak real life situations into existence such as rape, infidelity, etc and of course they have to act these parts out.  Is this wrong for Christians  to watch?  Is it wrong for Christians to act out these roles? I don't know, I'm asking!  My immediate reaction is Yes!  But then that means I'm in the wrong.  If God were to reveal to me that yes these things are wrong and I should not be watching any of them and then convict me to not watch movies I will be honest and say that that would be a really hard thing for me to be obedient in.  I mean what life do we have without them?  Would we spend more time in our Bibles or with our family? Books can bring us all the same things movies do, so again, we need to be careful what we fill our  hearts and minds with.  What do y'all think about this?  I'm asking not accusing or judging!

Point to remember: Psalm 11:8 The wicked freely strut about when what is vile is honored among men.  May we pray for each other as I know that as Christians we desire as it says in Hebrews 13:18 to live honorably in every way.

SG © 6/10/14

No comments:

Post a Comment